Learning How to Pivot in Roller Hockey
What is the use of pivoting in skating?
What is a pivot?
Pivoting means shifting from forwards to backwards or conversely while you're in motion.
The use of pivoting
That move enables you to shift from one direction of motion to the other without losing speed. This technique is regularly used in roller hockey in order to keep a good eye on the game, to counter-attack, to defend… To make it short, pivots are everywhere in the game!
How to pivot in skating?
- the player leans forwards or backwards on both their feet
- one foot in front of the other
- the upper body leaning forwards
- legs bent
- shoulders turn in order to engage the move: the twisting of the shoulders and hips will enable the rotation with an opening of the skates.
Mistakes to avoid
- upper body and head leaning too much forwards
- too little twisting of shoulders
- bad rotation of the hips
- the player should not stop and must keep their speed
Useful linksBy Jeremy Defossez and Alfathor
Photos: Bruno Delbart
Translation: Chloe Seyres